1. Where was Maimonides born?
– Cordoba, Spain
2. Who has more Instagram followers, Julia Louis-Dreyfus or Adam Sandler?
– Adam Sandler, with 10.8 million followers.
3. Name three ingredients that are in gefilte fish.
– A classic recipe includes: carp, whitefish, pike, salt, onions, celery, carrots, sugar, eggs, and parsnip.
4. Which of these fashion designers is not Jewish? Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs, Isaac Mizrahi, Kenneth Cole, Karl Lagerfeld, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, or Diane von Furstenberg?
– They’re all Jewish!
5. Name five celebrities that were in JewBelong’s ‘Sins, Stars and Shofars!‘
– Celebrity guest stars include Senator Cory Booker, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Gabrielle Carteris, Ophira Eisenberg, Judy Gold, the Sklar Brothers, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, Steven Weber, Eboni K. Williams, and many more!
6. Name three traditional foods you eat during Hanukkah.
– Latkes, sufganiot (donuts), chocolate coins.
7. What is fracking?
– Fracking is is a technique used to enable the extraction of natural gas or oil from shale and other forms of “tight” rock (in other words, impermeable rock formations that lock in oil and gas and make fossil fuel production difficult). Large quantities of water, chemicals, and sand are blasted into these formations at pressures high enough to crack the rock, allowing the once-trapped gas and oil to flow to the surface.
8. Which president was famous for not liking broccoli?
– George H.W. Bush
9. Name two reality TV stars that were in ‘Sins, Stars and Shofars!’
– Patty Stanger, and Ethan Zohn
10. Which team won the 2011 Super Bowl?
– The Green Bay Packers
11. When did the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade start?
12. Which US president did not want to make Thanksgiving a federal holiday?
– Thomas Jefferson
13. What is a turkey trot?
– Turkey trots are foot races held on Thanksgiving day, usually either 5k or half-marathons.
14. What are the football games usually played on Thanksgiving? The Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys each host a game on Thanksgiving.
15. What are the three largest full marathons run annually in Israel?
– Tel-Aviv Samsung Marathon, Jerusalem Marathon, and Sea of Galilee – Tiberias International Winner Marathon.
16. Since 1970 on the last Thursday in November, people gather near Plymouth Rock to commemorate a National Day of Mourning. Why?
– The organizers consider the national holiday of Thanksgiving Day as a reminder of the continued suffering of the Native American peoples. Participants in the National Day of Mourning honor Native ancestors and the struggles of Native peoples to survive today.
17. Why do many people eat turkey on Thanksgiving?
– A puritan who was at the first Thanksgiving feast noted that there was an abundance of turkeys, and the tradition continues.
18. Do turkeys (the bird) have anything to do with Turkey (the country)? If so, what?
– No, Turkey is named after the people who inhabited it, the Turks.
Why make an account and save your favorite JewBelong stuff? Because someday Jack is going to get off his ass and pop the question and you’re going to get to plan that wedding you've been thinking about since third grade.
Because why use any of your precious brain cells to remember where you kept those great readings that you’ll use someday at Jeffrey’s B Mitzvah? Make an account, keep the readings there. Easy peasy. The only thing you’ll need to remember is your password, and from personal experience that’s hard enough.
Hey, can you watch the phones on Friday? We have a thing.